Having a broken oven makes the issue of making birthday cakes a bit tricky. I decided to go the extra mile for my dad's birthday and attempt a layered steamed cheesecake cake, to make up for the fact that I can only steam small-sized cakes. I think this one worked really well.
The cake is steamed layer by layer, with the cheesecake in the middle and the sponge cake sandwiching it on either side. I also took the opportunity to get some rainbow sprinkles in there ( of course).
Ready? Here we go.
Ingredients for Cake:
150g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder, sifted
100ml olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Cheesecake:
50g caster sugar
2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles (optional)
Ingredients for Topping:
50g white chocolate
3 tbsp cream cheese
1. Whisk all the cake ingredients together in a large bowl, and whisk the cheesecake ingredients together in another bowl (don't add the sprinkles just yet).
2. Grease and line the bottom of a 7″ round cake tin with baking parchment. Pour half the cake mixture into the pan and steam for 15 minutes.
3. Gently stir the sprinkles into the cheesecake mixture, pour into the tin and bake for another 15 minutes.
4. Finally, pour the last half of cake mixture in and steam for a final 20 minutes. Let the cake cool completely before turning out onto a plate and icing.
5. To make the topping, melt the white chocolate and stir in the cream cheese. Spread on top, decorate with sprinkles and pop in the fridge until ready to serve.
Happy birthday, Dad!