The Old Fashioned itself is in the jelly layer at the top: the cheesecake itself is a yuzu cheesecake with just a hint of whisky. It's also a 'rare' cheesecake, or a no-bake cheesecake, set with gelatin instead of baked.
Ready? Let's go.
Ingredients for Cheesecake:
50g digestive biscuits, crushed
25g unsalted butter, melted
3g powdered gelatin soaked in 1 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp Nikka whisky
2 tbsp yuzu juice
125g cream cheese
100g Greek yoghurt
50g caster sugar
Ingredient for Old Fashioned Jelly:
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1 strip of fresh orange peel
4g powdered gelatin soaked in 1 tbsp cold water
75ml Nikka whisky
5 drops Angostura Bitters
1/2 tsp edible gold lustre dust (optional)
1. Make the cheesecake layer first: stir the crushed biscuits and melted butter together, divide evenly between four glass tumblers and pack down firmly with the back of a spoon.
2. Heat the yuzu juice and whisky until gently steaming in a small saucepan, and dissolve the soaked gelatin in the hot mixture. Leave to cool a little. Mix the cream cheese, yoghurt, milk and sugar together in a separate bowl, and stir in the cooled gelatin mixture. Divide evenly between the glasses, and pop in the fridge to chill for two hours.
3. Once the cheesecake has chilled for a couple of hours, make the jelly: heat the sugar, orange peel and water in a pan on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then remove the orange peel and dissolve the soaked gelatin in the liquid. In a separate jug, stir the whisky and bitters together, then stir in the gelatin mixture and the gold dust. Leave to cool slightly.
4. Carefully spoon the jelly liquid over the chilled cheesecakes, and chill for another two hours before decorating however you like.
5. Serve with an actual Old Fashioned (optional).