I wasn't going to post this recipe and so I didn't take many 'action shots', but since they went down well at the picnic I baked them for why not.
Actually, one of the reasons they went down so well was because the only other things my mates brought were plain bread buns and cider(!) So we decided to make the best of what we had an ended up doing this:
Actually... it worked really well Think about it: cake is just sweetened bread, and buttercream is just butter and sugar. What we ended up doing was create an even bigger cake (honestly, it just tasted like cake). I couldn't stop laughing though, just look at it!
Pick the buns up and try it for yourself. In the meantime, here's the recipe for the actual cakes.
Ready? Let's go.
Ingredients for Cake:
115g unsalted butter, softened
115g caster sugar
115g self raising flour
1 tbsp matcha powder sifted
2 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Buttercream:
250g butter, softened
500g icing sugar
3 tbsp matcha, sifted
3 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
2. To make the cupcakes, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, and beat the eggs in. Whisk in the flour and matcha, followed by the milk and salt.
3. Divide the batter between the cupcake cases and bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the cupcakes are lightly brown and spring back when you poke them.
4. Let the cakes cool completely and make the buttercream: whisk the butter until pale and fluffy, and gradually whisk in the sugar and matcha. Whisk in the milk and salt, and pipe on your cooled cupcakes. Sprinkles optional but encouraged.
5. When times are hard and you need your cake to go that little bit further, use your cupcakes to fill plain bread buns.
Have fun, and enjoy.