It's been a crazy-busy week and I've been out every night since last Saturday. Definitely time for an easy recipe, and despite the long and complicating-sounding name, these stuffed friands take under an hour to make.
I always have a lot of leftover egg whites in the freezer from buying pasteurised cartons of the stuff for my mousse cakes. This is one of those recipes perfect for using them up without having to make meringues or macarons.
The almond extract is a must for the fragrant almond flavour, but the orange extract can be bypassed if you don't have it: it just adds a little extra zing.
Ready? Let's go!
4 egg whites
125g icing sugar
50g plain flour
100g ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
125g unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp orange extract (optional)
Zest of 1 orange
8 tsp mascarpone
(Makes 8 large friands.)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease the insides of your friand mould.
2. In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites until foamy, but not until they form peaks like a meringue. Sift in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt, and fold in carefully.
3. Stir in the melted butter, extracts and orange zest until well-combined. Divide half of the mixture between the friand mould, pop a teaspoonful of mascarpone into the centres, and cover with the rest of the mixture.
4. Pop three blueberries on top of each, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
5. Cool completely before eating.
Enjoy, and have fun.