Happy New Year! I kicked my workout regime up a notch last month by joining a better gym and going more regularly, and now I'm starting 2016 sugar-free and eating clean(ish). Sugar-free January, let's do this!
This cake is moist and densely satisfying, and sweetened only with dates: no added sugar necessary. With whole wheat flour, dried fruit, coconut and nuts thrown in too, this cake also makes quite a decent energy snack, too. I used butter as the 'fat' agent, but coconut oil will work too – I just prefer the taste of butter here.
Good new guys, this one's a relatively quick and easy recipe. Let's go!
20 medjool dates, pitted
100g melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
25g dessicated coconut
50g dried cranberries
50g pistachios, roughly chopped
1) Put the milk and dates in a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until the dates are all gooey and soft. Turn off the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Blend until smooth with a stick blender and leave to cool to room temperature.
2) Preheat the oven to 180°C and line and grease an 8" square cake pan with baking parchment.
3) Whisk the egg and melted butter into the date mixture, followed by the spices and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, and finally fold in the coconut, cranberries and pistachios.
4) Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean.
5) Cool for 10 minutes, slice up and serve warm, or let cool completely and eat cold. Both ways are awesome.
Have fun, and enjoy!