This one was for my friend Toria's birthday party this weekend. I'll just give the recipe for the whipped chocolate ganache and the chocolate mirror glaze here. For the sandwich sponge, check out my recipe for gluten-free chocolate cake (you can use regular flour for it).
Recipe for Whipped Chocolate Ganache:
300g dark 70% chocolate
50g caster sugar
400ml double cream
Recipe for Chocolate Mirror:
2tsp gelatine dissolved in 60ml cold water
80ml water + 60g caster sugar
1tbsp glucose syrup/ corn syrup
50g cocoa powder
100ml double cream
Method for Whipped Ganache:
1) Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of barely simmering water, and stir in the sugar and vanilla.
2) Take off the heat and whisk in the cream. Whisk for 5-10 mins (yep) until thick and moussey.
3) Pop in the fridge for an hour or two, or until it becomes thick enough to pipe/ spread.
Method for Assembling the Cake:
Use 2/3 of the ganache to sandwich your two rounds of cake together, and use the rest to cover. Smooth down the sides and top as best you can, and pop in the freezer for half an hour to and hour (this allows the glaze to set faster when you pour it over the cake).
Method for Chocolate Mirror:
1) Dissolve the caster sugar in the 80ml water in a pan over a medium heat, bringing it to a boil.
2) Lower the heat right down and lightly whisk in the glucose syrup, followed by the cocoa and the cream.
3) Take off the heat and stir in the soaked gelatine until dissolved.
4) Strain through a fine sieve into a pouring jug and leave to cool to room temperature for an hour or two (cover with clingfilm touching the surface of the glaze to stop a skin from forming).
5) When you're ready to glaze the cake, set it atop a small upside-down cake pan over a tray (to catch drips), and pour steadily making sure the glaze runs down the sides evenly.
6) Let the glaze set before decorating the cake.
Have fun, and enjoy! I'll be posting an Icelandic recipe soon. In fact it's been made, but it needs a few days to mature. You will see...