I originally wanted to make a chewy cookie-like treat, but these ended up more crumbly like shortbread- however they went down really well and people assured me there was no need to 'improve' the recipe for the bars themselves. I may add more jam next time though, and use chunkier conserve- as the smooth stuff I used seemed to vanish a little. As you can see I also sprinkled over some peanut M&Ms for colour (and added yumminess).
-200g plain flour
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-5 heaped tbsp smooth peanut butter
-70g light muscavado sugar
-115g softened unsalted butter
-200g jam of your choice (I used strawberry)
-150g peanut M&Ms
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, line a 8 x 12" pan with foil and lightly grease (I used my brownie pan)
2) Keeping back the M&Ms and jam for later, put the other dry ingredients into a bowl, and stir the other wet ingredients straight in with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth dough
3) Pack about 2/3 of your peanut cookie dough into the bottom of your prepared pan in a smooth layer
4) Coat evenly with the jam...
|Holy hand of jam-spreading?|
5) ... Break off pieces of the remaining dough to crumble on top of the jam layer...
6) ... And sprinkle with M&Ms.
7) Bake for about 30 minutes until it begins to turn golden brown (the M&Ms might split like mine)
8) Leave to cool completely before slicing into squares and serving.