Week three of sugar-free February and I'm feeling pretty good! Also, I'm finding out how many wonderful things you can do with cashew nuts. Like raw vegan cheesecake, for example.
Yes, this beauty is made primarily with smooshed nuts. Don't laugh. The texture is silky smooth, the flavour is creamy and refreshing, and if you didn't tell anyone this was made with cashew nuts, no-one would know.
Everything is raw- from the cashew nut 'cheesecake' filling to the crunchy nut-and-date crust. I haven't included a recipe for the strawberry sauce here, but all you do is blend some fresh strawberries with a bit of agave nectar or maple syrup to sweeten (or honey if you're not vegan).
Ingredients for Crust:
Ingredients for Filling:
-400g cashew nuts, soaked in water overnight
-8tbsp agave nectar/ maple syrup/ honey (if not vegan)
-Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
-150g coconut oil, melted
1) Grease a 7" springform pan with a little coconut oil (and if you like, make a foil-lined cardboard insert to make removing the finished article form the pan even easier afterwards)
2) Put the almonds and pecans in a food processor and process until crumbly-looking, then add the dates and process (not too much, you still want it to look like crumbs rather than dust)
3) Pack the mixture down firmly into the bottom of your pan, using your hands and/ or the back of a spoon
4) Throw all of the rest of the ingredients apart from the strawberries and blend until creamy
5) Now add the strawberries, and blend until well combined
6) Pour into your tin and chill in the fridge for at least four hours, or even better overnight
7) Unmould your lovely lovely raw strawberry cheesecake...
8) ... Cut a nice generous slice...
9) And enjoy with some raw strawberry sauce and fresh strawberries!