Nutella Torte - Recipe

I think this counts as Nutella torte rather than Nutella cake. It only contains a little bit of flour and the rest ground nuts: and there's nothing to officially say (that I'm aware of) that a torte has to be made 100% without any flour whatsoever. The general consensus on the internet is that a torte is made with 'little to no flour', so in that respect, a torte it is.


I adapted the recipe from Nigella Lawson's Torta Alla Gianduia: instead of ground hazelnuts I used ground almonds (because I can't find ready ground hazelnuts and my food processor died quite a while ago), and I cut the amount of ground nuts by half and substituted with self raising flour (because I wanted a slightly lighter texture while keeping it dense and moist enough to be recognisable as a torte). I also used vanilla instead of frangellico, rum or brandy because I don't have any of those, and I used more butter because... well, just because. I tweeked the topping a bit and left out decorating it with toasted hazelnuts because I quite liked the look of it plain.

Ingredients for Torte:

- 6 eggs, separated
- 400g jar nutella
- 200g butter
- 100g dark 70% chocolate
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g self raising flour
- 2tsp vanilla

Ingredients for Ganache Glaze:

- 60g dark 70% chocolate
- 60g milk chocolate
- 5tbsp milk

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line and grease a 9" springform tin.

2) Melt the butter and sugar together (I did this in the microwave- be cautious and do it in short 30 second bursts- but you can also do it in a heat proof bowl sat over a pan of simmering water). Set aside to cool.


3) Whip the egg whites until very stiff/ until you can literally hold the bowl over your head and not end up looking like a snowman (if you've done it right, it works). Set aside.



4) Now that your chocolate butter has cooled, stir thoroughly into the egg yolks, flour, ground almonds and vanilla...

 


 5) ... And stir in the Nutella. All of it.


Remember, Nutella goes in bowl, not in face

6) Take a couple of tablespoons of the egg white out of the big bowl and stir into the chocolate mixture to loosen it up a bit: then put it all back in the bowl with the rest of the egg whites and fold gently. Remember: only fold for as long as you have too: the less you move it around, the less air bubbles you smash out of it and the fluffier the cake.


7) Scrape the mixture into your tin, and bake for around 30 minutes or until the centre of the cake doesn't wobble any more.



8) Whilst your cake is cooling, make your ganache glaze by melting the chocolate and milk together (again, I did this in the microwave). One the cake is cool enough to handle (no need to wait until it's completely cold for this recipe), take it out of the tin, plate it up, and pour/ spread your ganache over the top.

9) Serve warm, preferably with some ice cream.


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts